Edge Computing Layers: Edge computing will create a transformational impact on American society and business, thereby enabling new technologies and services across instant wireless connectivity. For that to happen, edge computing must navigate a confusing maze and conflicting definitions, that are caused by the diverse nature of edge infrastructure and business models.
Significant stakeholders in edge computing are taking steps to clarify the various infrastructure layers and use cases. Multiple associations are being created by large corporations to define edge computing standards. Thes steps are essential to lay the groundwork for success. Edge computing is not a single entity like a computer, but several technologies that will work together to create a solution to solve a particular problem.
However, there are many challenges. Ege computing implementation timing remains unclear with many enterprises on when the business demand for the different flavors of edge infrastructure will materialize. This uncertainty is complicating decisions on how and when to fund these projects.
Edge needs new technology:
Edge computing is not a single technology. It is instead a phrase that describes several layers of infrastructure, some of which are updates of several current models like a high-speed cellular connection – 5G. Edge computing solution is a response to new technologies such as autonomous vehicles and distributed AI applications which need low latency and proximity to users. These technologies are transforming the future of the Internet.
The transformation to edge computing will be an enormous effort for enterprises. It will take many years, cost billions and billions of dollars, and ultimately become massive in scale.
Multiple Layers and definitions:
For edge computing to be deployed at a vast scale, the edge will need to be compact, cheaper, and take the network to other new places. The critical components of edge computing include wireless networks, mobile devices, telecom towers, small cells, and distributed antenna systems as well as data centers and cloud platforms. Edge is a universe that transforms traditional business models built on specialization.
The data center industry defines an edge is a module. The small cell industry defines an edge is a small cell. Device makers envision analytics will run on sensors.
For cloud computing, it will take time for the market to grasp a holistic understanding of the edge and its many layers. Industry veterans believe things have progressed further due in part to the scope of the business opportunity.
Five layers of infrastructure:
- Data Sources: Wearables, Things & Sensors
- Processing Endpoints: Cars, Robots or Personal Computers
- Local Data Hubs: Data processing at a small IT room or a building
- Urban Data Hubs: Data processing at a cell tower or metro data center.
- Regional Data Hubs: Cloud availability zones and colocation center.
The Linux Foundation offers a chart of edge layers and provides four principles that frame the participants’ lens on edge:
- The edge is a location and not a single thing.
- There are many edges, but the edge of the last mile network is essential.
- The edge has two sides: an infrastructure edge and a device edge.
- Data Computing will happen on both sides, with edge working in coordination with the centralized cloud.
Disruption demands new solutions:
This revolution is going to cost to implement. Many executives predict that the buildout of edge computing will pressure the economics of data infrastructure. Users will not pay a premium to go faster. Demand for services has a way of doing economics work, even in cases like this where the disruption is along the way.
There will be data centers in these new places, but they may be built and powered very differently than the server farms of Silicon Valley and Northern Virginia. The core compute doesn’t exist in one place like a datacenter anymore. It is instead distributed across multiple layers and locations. Edge Computing Layers are essential for real-world implementation, and they need careful strategic planning to create a transformational business impact.
- Mobodexter, Inc based in Redmond, WA builds IOT Edge solutions for enterprises applications on Kubernetes & Dockers.
- Register now at developers.paasmer.co and enjoy free Edge trial license of Edge Intelligence software that runs on Raspberry Pi.
- Follow our all our weekly IoT Blogs: https://blogs.mobodexter.com
- Our IoT Newsletter reaches 3000+ subscribers– Subscribe Now.
- Become our affiliate partner today.